Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Firsts

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. This morning I rode over to my vet to pick up a prescription for our sick kitteh. I had just thrown on some flip flops since it's about 1/2 a mile from my house. I had stopped at the stoplight at the end of my street, and when it turned green, right as I was pushing off someone honked their horn, startling me and my left foot slipped forward off the pedal scraping a good bit of flesh off. I hadn't really noticed until I got to the vet how bad it was, since I was on the road. I just pushed off again and rode on. But once I got there and took a look it was pretty nasty. Bloody and already turning purple. I'll spare you guys photos. It doesn't hurt to ride on, but smarts quite nicely when walking. So that's my first official cycling injury since my teens.

On my way home from work this evening I was passed by *gasp!* another cyclist! Who waved as he zoomed past! That's the first time I've seen another cyclist on that bit of road, and the first in a VERY long time. Then, as I watched him approach the light way off in the distance, I saw him make a left on red without stopping. Sigh. Oh well.

Skirt guard. It's giving me hell. It's beautiful and I love it, but the bloody thing won't cooperate attachment wise. Right now it's attached to the fender and looking good (figured out something that works well, and looks pretty good too without drilling) but now it's giving me problems attaching at the hub end, but only on the chain side. So really it's not the guard, but the chainguard that's the culprit. So I'm stepping away from that for a few days whilst I ponder what to do.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes - sorry to hear that. I hate assholes who honk - don't they realize how dangerous it is to startle a cyclist like that?! Oh, there are so so many things they're completely ignorant of.

    Well, I hope when you talk of your "bloody" skirtguard, you're not speaking literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dottie - Lol, thankfully NOT literally! No, I was on Hedwig. Though, I dunno, skirt guard on a mixte? Might look nice!

    ReplyDelete