So busy, that I'm just going to give a quick review of the past few days.
Hedwig got new tires on Saturday!
Her rear wheel for some reason had previously been drilled out for a Schrader. Not sure why her previous owner didn't bother to do both. Actually, I didn't use a drill for the job, my husband showed me how to use a taper reamer. It takes a little elbow grease, but you can sneak up on just the right fit. Unlike a drill, where you have to pick out a bit that is close and just go for it.
I also gave her new brake pads. The old pads seemed fine, but were a little squeaky. So I put a set of Koolstops that I already had on the front, and some other softer long pads on the back.
This set up seems to work really well! I use the rear brakes for most of my slowing and stopping on flats and both for stopping on a downhill.
In fiber-y news, I've been spinning up some Rambouillet/Merino cross that I picked up at Maryland Sheep and Wool year before last.
It's a very nice fleece. A bit on the short staple side, but nothing I can't work with. I'm going to have to only hand card this, I think. I suppose I could try running some through the drum carder just to see what happens, but I'm quite happy with the results from hand cards.
It's also very sproingy! Lot's of very fine crimp.
I'm spinning it up as a 2ply in about a DK weight. I plan to knit a pair of knee high cabled sock with it (actually, I've already got it started, just haven't gotten a chance to take a picture!)
Also, we are very excited! My husband just got a contract on a very big job! More on that later, but at least we know that we'll be able to keep a roof over our heads for the next 12-14 months. :)