I've been meaning to share this for awhile now. A month or so ago I made a saddle and grip cover set.
I didn't use any sort of pattern, just took some measurements and traced the saddle for the basic shape. These are made from a water resistant outdoor fabric with a PVC lining.
I learned a lot about sewing through PVC. It's sticky, and needs a lubricant of sorts in order for it to feed through the sewing machine. I tried baby powder, and that just got messy. Then I got smart and used tissue paper. It fed through much better, but my machine still complained. Definitely a job for the treadle machine. Shame it's in pieces right now.
Anyway, I was inspired to make something waterproof to keep my saddle and grips dry while I'm at work. I don't have anywhere covered to keep my bikes, and plastic bags just looked bad.
I have the Brooks leather grips on the Pashley. I've discovered that after being out in the rain, once they dry the leather washers shrink in a little, leaving gaps in between. This is easily corrected my tightening the screws in on the ends of the grips, but not something I want to have to do every time it rains. Has anyone else had this problem with the Brooks grips? Did you find some way to prevent the shrinkage?
The covers just slip on over the grips, and have elastic in the open end to draw them in, helping to keep water out.
The saddle cover was the most difficult part of the project. Between the machine throwing fits over sewing through the PVC, and trying to make curves it just was not fun. But it turned out well!
If I were to make one again (I did buy more fabric, in case I wanted variety) I think that I would make the gusset a little wider so that it comes down over the springs more. This one just does cover them.
So far these have worked out nicely! They've been in some real downpours now and haven't leaked or blown off. Since I haven't gone and made another set yet I guess that means I'm pretty happy with them. :)