Today I replaced Helena's shifter cable. We've been riding around on the original cable for several months now, and her ability to shift was becoming increasingly worse. By middle of last week it was at the point that I couldn't keep her in 2nd gear, and could barely make the trigger move into any gear. So, I ordered a new, old stock cable. It's pretty easy to replace the shifter cable on this bicycle. Easy, that is, until you break the fulcrum clamp.
I must have bent it apart too much when I took it off. Or it was already weak at that point. I'm still using it, but keeping an eye out for a replacement. I haven't gotten to check my LBS, but they seem to appear with regularity on Ebay. So far it's holding together fine. I suppose that if it breaks on a ride, I can always zip tie the cable down.
It's amazing how much of a difference a new cable can make! It's like a new bicycle. The shifting is so smooth and she stays in gear! I had never imagined that there would be that much of a difference.
It made riding in to work on a Saturday morning much more enjoyable.