Sunday, December 5, 2010


Ever since I brought Hedwig home, I have loathed the rubber Schwinn branded grips that came on her. I suspect that they were not original to the bike, and were added to her at some point by one of her previous owners. They felt gross, and were too long and hung over the ends of the handlebars by about half an inch. They had to go.

Many moons ago I bought a small tooled leather wallet. It kind of looked like someones scout project, with plastic cording stitched around the edges. I found it at a local thrift store, and liked the tooling enough that it had to come home with me. I knew it was destined for some craft project, I just didn't know what yet.

Today that little wallet became new grips for Hedwig. I cut the wallet in half, along the crease unstitched the plastic cording so that the insides would come out. After I had just the two front halves, I sprayed a little 3M Spray Mount on the backsides of the leather, so that it would hold still on the handlebars while I stitched them on.

Once they were stitched on I rubbed a little Proofhide in, to darken them up a bit and stuck a cork in the end of each side the the handlebars . Lookin' good so far! I'll find out tomorrow how well they work out.


  1. Nice! And clever repurposing of an old wallet too!

  2. Great project! I remember making some of those leather and plastic wallets in scouting. It's nice to know that one survived, somewhere.

  3. Awesome! This is very impressive. Although you make it sound easy, that's a lot of creativity and work there. And the result is beautiful.

  4. Thanks everyone! So far they are working out nicely too. :)